From: Akins
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 5:31 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery powered submersible water pumps as thrusters?

I was looking up submersible water pumps online today.

I noticed that there were several models that were 12 volt battery powered models that were home water supply backup pumps.

I saw one model that was an oil filled submersible water pump. This would be nice since it would already be pressure equalized.

I made me wonder if these battery powered submersible water pumps could be used as thrusters on a wetsub.

The advantages of this would be that there would be no exposed propeller, the unit would be oil filled and not need equalization against

the outside water pressure, the unit being small could be installed within the wetsub's stern with it's exhaust going out thru a hole in the stern,

you could even install them in the side of the sub so they could spin your sub easily as a side thruster.

Has anyone here looked into using battery powered submersible oil filled water pumps as a means of propulsion for their sub?

Love to find out more about the pros and cons of this.

Kindest Regards,
Bill Akins.