[PSUBS-MAILIST] Lead-Acid Oil-Filled Batteries and Catalysts

Don't get confused.  A barrel of oil, with no air, will not sink to the Titanic.  Oil is lighter than water and will float, not sink.

Hydrocaps are a catalyst which should not change the pressure in the battery pod.  The catalyst simply combines hydrogen gas and oxygen gas to form water, without the explosion characteristic of this exothermic reaction.  I suggested to you that another reaction may be causing the pressure drop. I suspect some oxygen (O2) is being tied up in PbO2:
Pb + O2 ---> PbO2
but that's a guess.

Relevant chemical reactions:

Pb + 2H2SO4 + PbO2 <---- Charging    2PbSO4 + 2H2O
                    Discharging---->

Hydrolysis:  2H2O ----> 2H2  +  O2

I'm not sure why a vacuum happens, but knowing that it happens enables you to plan for it if you intend to use hydrocaps.

Stan