Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] For Bill A., recharging battery pods, Vacuums and unknown gas loss.

Hey, Bill:
        No problem . . .I guess that's the real benefit of a forum like
this - that guys like Vance - who've been there and done that - are willing
to take the time to try to save the newbies a lot of wheel spinning by
sharing their  experience.  When you do this stuff eight hours a day ( or
twelve, if you're in the oil-patch ), every day, you do find ways of
solving persistent problems that may never have occured to you on a
theoretical basis.
        On the oil-filled batteries: There is no mystery . period. They
work fine. We've been using oil-filleds for 20 years on 'Deep Rover' -
there is no emulsification ( as predicted by critics) the off gassing is
easily handled by a soft top plus vent or just a clean venting non-return
design. Oil-filleds have been used for many decades by entire classes of
subs (Pisces, for example) with no major problems. Why dont we use them on
'Deep Workers', Aquarius, etc., ? Because they are unbelievably messy to
fill, top, change oil, change batteries, etc. We use spare oil-filled
battery boxes for deck change-out  on 'Deep Rover' - heavy like hell. Dry
pods are a joy - more payload by virtue of the air space inherent in square
section batteries and round tubes - trays slide out, trays slide in, you're
ready to rock and roll again, Disadvantage?. . .Cost.
  If you have more time than $ and it is just a hobby with you - but you do
want to go to a significant depth - nothing, that I know of, beats the cost
of straight lead-acids in ab oil-filled container.
Phil Nuytten