From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Akins
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 3:17 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] insults and incorrect hydrogen/vacuum assumptions on pressure equalization of battery pods and trolling motors.

Dear Vance.

I never claim to have all the answers Vance. For you to infer that my attitude is one of such is insulting to me. I do not insult people here and do not appreciate it being done to me. I am always polite and would never dream of saying something like that to you.
I never said "I got to die sometime", what I said was submarines and diving in general are not particularly safe in themselves.
Neither sport are as safe as sitting and watching t.v. now are they? I have said many times that I am no expert. But I do have some knowledge also.

I never minimize risks and I too believe risks are to be managed. That is why I am going to use BOTH hydrocaps on ALL my battery cells as well as hydrolators in my battery pod.
I am totally familiar with George Peroni and the hydrocap corporation's products. Both their hydrocaps and their hydrolators that you mention as being bracket mounted. I may have to build a sliding battery tray that allows me to
slide my 4 batteries out of the battery pod for charging rather than charge the batteries while encased within the battery pod and using a forced air system to vent the hydrogen while charging. I was thinking of doing this quite some
time ago before I even considered a forced air system for recharging. Yes, I may have to replace my O ring seal a bit more frequently because of this, but that is minor. One thing that will do is minimize penetrations thru the hull of my
battery pod that would have to be made for a forced air system. The less holes I have to make leakproof the better I like it.

In so doing I will be able to check on my hydrocaps while they are charging. And if one is bad replace it. If one of the hydrocaps happened to go bad while i was submerged, then the hydrolator would take up the slack and when I got home
and slid the batteries out to recharge I would find the bad one and replace it. Also each time I recharged the batteries I can check the acid level and replenish it if necessary. By putting disposable diapers in the bottom of the battery pod
I can collect any small amount of water that the hydrolators deposit into the bottom of the battery pod and preclude that small amount of water from splashing by the diapers absorbing them.

I am sorry but you are in error when you say you use oxygen from the surrounding atmosphere to combine with the hydrogen to create water. The oxygen you need is already in the water in your battery as is the hydrogen also.

The water acid mix in the batteries contains the oxygen in the water already that you need to recombine with the hydrogen to create water. You do not need any oxygen from the surrounding atmosphere. I remember the science project in
school where the teacher ran an electrical current thru the water and collected the oxygen in one test tube and the hydrogen in the other, and then lit the hydrogen test tube with a match and we all heard it go POP. Then he blew the match out
and dropped it into the test tube of oxygen and it burst into flame again.

That hydrogen was created by electrically seperating hydrogen and oxygen which is what water is. Therefore when you create the hydrogen you also create the oxygen and do not need an outside atmosphere oxygen source. The hydrocaps and hydrolator
simply recombines the two that were seperated electrically and turns them back into water.

Therefore there would not be a vacuum on the pod at all. But even more than this, with my pressure equalization system even if what you said were true about a vacuum in the pod, my scuba regulator would sense any vacuum within the pod and vent air into it until there was no longer a vacuum just as it would normally do since if there were a vacuum within the pod the water pressure on the outside would be more than within the pod and my scuba regulator would vent air into the pod to compensate. So in any event there would never be a vacuum in my battery pod.

But as I said that would not be necessary because no vacuum would exist because no oxygen from the pod itself would be used up in the recombining of the two gases to reform water. Just the oxygen and hydrogen that were seperated electrically from the battery water and recombined.

To further the safety margin, my battery pod and motor will be getting fresh inputs of air from my scuba regulator as I dive and the expanding air will be exhausted thru the scuba regulator as I accend. Thus further diluting and or purging any possible very, very small trace
amounts of hydrogen that could only form in the battery pod if BOTH my hydrocaps AND my hydrolators failed which is highly unlikely. By using this system and paying careful attention to my batteries during their charge cycle, there should not be a problem and I believe safety should be at a maximum..

Of course I could always get swallowed by a whale or attacked by a giant squid.

If my posting here somehow makes people think I believe I have all the answers, then I can just stop posting. I have my wetsub and my knowledge and I can always leave if people get insulting or things cease to be fun. So if you think I am of any value at all, please be polite as I always am. I take a great deal of time to post and try to help out here. Most of my posts are time consuming for me and I do this for fun. When it is not fun anymore, I will not do it.

Guarded Regards,
Bill Akins.