Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub building business

It was the General Aviation Revitalization Act of 1994 that did it. Liability duration went from 40 to 18 years I think. I have heard that insurance companys automatically file suit against manufactures when a plane they cover crashes. I am not certain that that is true though.

How long is a submarine manufacturer liable? Are they sued often?

Gordon Alexander

david cutajar wrote:
I believe there was a period (10+ years?) where planes
for the private pilot were not produced due to lawsuit
laws, but they have since changed the laws(i.e.
limited the amount of liability time). The companies
were getting sued for problems with 30 yr old
aircraft.

They resumed building probably around 5+ yrs ago (my
buddy just bought a 2000 model 6 seater)

My company purchases liability insurance on a project
by project basis to save on costs. We also use
waiver(s) if applicable.

They still sell chainsaws afterall -

--- gordon alexander <gordon@curio.com> wrote:

I think they are still selling single engine planes.
The have 9 single
engine models. There is more than one new one on the
airport nearest my
home. See http://www.newpiper.com/

Gordon Alexander

SFreihof@aol.com wrote:

Hugo;

One of the biggest stumbling blocks that must be

addressed before even contemplating a submersible
market is product liability.  Piper doesn't build
single engine airplanes anymore because the product
liability insurance costs are higher than the
production costs.

Aircraft Kit manufacturers get around this by

calling them "Experimental," and any structural
failure cannot be attributed to the kit manufacturer
since he didn't build it.

Has there been any legal discussion on the

liability problems of a venture of this type?

Anyway, put me on your list...

Stan

In a message dated 12/22/2004 8:23:50 PM Eastern

Standard Time, "Hugo Marrero" <hmarrero@hboi.edu>
writes:

the US Federal
CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.  Your email address appears in
our database
because either you, or someone you know, requested
you receive messages
from our organization.

If you want to be removed from this mailing list
simply click on the

Removal of your email address from this mailing list
occurs by an
automated process and should be complete within five
minutes of
our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311