To: <Personal_Submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 11:15 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ambient pressure submersible

After much internet surfing, deliberation and consideration, I've
decided to build a dry ambient submersible. I've begun sourcing local
suppliers for custom acrylic windows and domes, steel fabricators &
welders, marine batteries and motors, etc; and ordered a copy of the
plans for the Delta Wing Submarine ( http://www.scubatow.com/Sub.html
) for ideas pertaining to ambient pressure design, controls etc.

Has anybody here built this particular model, or variant thereof? Has
anybody here had any experience with the design and construction of
ambient pressure submersibles?

Should I use steel for hull construction, or fibreglass? (the guys at
www.ivccorp.com evidently use fibreglass, but a rather complex blend).

How do you keep the entry hatches secured in an ambient pressure
submarine? I understand it's quite simple with a 1-atm sub, when
you've got an awful lot of external pressure, however if the internal
pressure is equal to the external pressure as is the case with an
ambient design, then as I understand, this will no longer be
applicable.

I've also been wondering, has anybody used a 'scuba scooter' (
http://shop.divebooty.com/1624.html ) for submarine propulsion before?
Diver propulsion vehicles like this seem to be perfect for this
application,  as they're DC powered, and already designed to be
operated in a submerged environment.

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311