From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of William
Alford
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 11:39 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] kooky transparent conning idea

After seeing a transparent hyperbaric chamber, I couldn't help but
daydream of a completely 360 degree transparent conning tower. Hospitals
that have these entirely transparent HBOT chambers are required to
replace them every 10K hours or 10 years at a cost of around 10 grand. I
wonder if one could get the old tube from them for cheap. Of course, the
cycles/fatigue that makes them unable to use after 10k hrs  might be of
same concern for a sub. They are usually rated to 3 ATA (99 feet of sea
water) for internal pressure, but I wonder if that is because of the
acrylic, or door attachments, o-ring seals, etc. And it may be an
insurance/engineering thing of little real engineering merit. Who knows.
>From this photo - http://www.dotmed.com/listing/67798  you can see the
realitively straightforward construction as they are assembled with four
massive threaded rods (threaded on ends) to seal each chamber end onto
the tube. It'd be reasonable to fabricate a bottom flange on sub body
and corresponding top flange with the hatch built into the top one.
Simple o-rings inside flange grooves receiving the tube ends would seal.
Of course, like the "side slip" o-rings described by Phil Nuyten a long
time back, once submerged the water pressure would force elements
together and seal the seams and the orings and wouldn't depend on the
rods except for alignment. Of course it would be somewhat more fragile
construction and probably couldn't dive very deep, but wouldn't it be
cool to have all around 360 degree visibility! One can buy the new tubes
from a manufacturer - http://www.blanson.com/,
http://www.blanson.com/products/hyperbarics.htm to custom wall
thicknesses, and yes, they say they also make windows/portholes.

Of course 3 psubbers could go together to buy a tube and cut into
sections for towers. Maybe they have shorter (thicker) ones for less
money? . . . yeah, I said kooky.

William Alford

automated process and should be complete within five minutes of our
server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311
Weare, NH  03281