From: "Michael B. Holt" <mholt@ohiohills.com>
Sent: Dec 9, 2004 11:34 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: 2004 Awards - Need help with categories

Ray Keefer wrote:

> The Kitteredge award is for a whole sub. A major project.
>
> I was thinking of an award for specific gear like a scrubbing system,
> motor controller, sonar, PLC computer.... Some specific piece of
> hardware project that spreads knowledge through the group. In this way
> some of those whom have not yet reached the "Carsten Point" can
> contribute in some smaller way.

That's different.  Totally different.  I like that a lot.

> More feedback please? Does the Kittredge award cover it? No need for a
> new award?

The Kittredge award might cover it, but it might be that
we'd decide to give it for either the gadget or the whole
sub--and not both.  That's not a good thing.

Let's avoid the name of one of those guys who invented
escape gear.  That's depressing.

Simon Lake and John Holland patented and built gear for
special purposes, but their main activity was building the
entire boat.  Likewise, Bauer, van Drebbel, Bushnell, etc.
Laubeuf, Laurenti, Zed�, all built entire boats.

No one is going to name anything after Horace Hunley.  His
partner, McClintock, was the designer; McClintock died in
the explosion of a mine he was testing (it worked, I suppose).

Wasn't it Faraday who built the first electric motor?
That's critical to what we're doing.

Who invented something critical, and internal, to submarines?

Mike

automated process and should be complete within five minutes of receipt
of your request.

mailto:removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311