Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Batteries and SCRs

Silicon Controlled Rectifiers are not as good as Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors for our applications.
Light dimmers are alternating current only, and low power.
First build with switches and solenoids, you will be able to maneuver anywhere. It's not like driving a car where you need an exact velocity.

Question for all about holding a depth - I have dive planes and don't like them, as I want to hover stationary.
How does a variable ballast tank compare with a vertical thruster?
VBT is harder to control?
Electric motor with speed control is best?
Will 30 vertical pounds of Minn Kota thrust on the side roll a sub, or just push it up and down?
In other words, are 2 vertical thrusters needed for balance?

-Peter Korwin