[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re:Stainless in aluminum

Brian,

Maybe Hugo will catch this question and help me out here with some product
names, but I can tell you that the answer to your question is yes and no.

At HBOI, we used a stainless steel insert which was threaded inside and out.
Bore the hole to the insert size, tap, screw the insert itself into the
aluminum with a mandrel and then hammer in the locking dogs. The insert should be
well bedded in one of the super whammydine Loctites (or epoxy or something) in
an effort to exclude seawater from the outer threads. It's going to become a
permanent fixture anyway (as you might well imagine) so you might as well nail
it in there the best way you know how.

The inserts come in all sizes, so that their inside thread size will match
whatever bolt you have in mind. The trick to using them successfully is to
grease the bolt with nonsoluble grease every time you install it, and I mean grease
it GOOD!!! Otherwise, and as I remember it, about the only otherwise we ever
found, was that salt would creep in there and build on the threads--which gave
you a twisted off bolt head, more often than not, when you tried to pull it
later.

One more hint: Don't use machine threads for this kind of application. 1/4 20
is about as fine as you'd want to risk. The coarser threads, when being
reluctant on removal, are easier to rock back and forth, thus easier to persuade
out into the light.

We used Almag hatches in the early days at Perry and had to fight corrosion
quite a bit, and as I have said somewhere (somewhen?) else on this page, we
used magnesium anodes on the aluminum dive planes and rudder assemblies. I have
actually WATCHED them corrode, with fumes streaming off and little bits of
metal flaking into the water, when a DC circuit shorted to ground.

You can, of course, bolt straight into aluminum, but the damage will happen
on the aluminum end, and you probably won't see it until it gets pretty
bad--and it won't be pretty--just pretty bad. Beware. Some days it's like diving in
battery acid. A single dive with a pesky short can cause some BIG problems.

Best Regards,
Vance