From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Julian Ford
Sent: 27 August 2004 12:24
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] UK psuber's / ROV

Hello again, Steve...sorry for the delayed reply.

You are right about microcontrollers...very cool things!  So much is possible with them.

My ROV, the Guppy, is a fairly simple construction (mostly PVC and ABS pipe).
It is a microcontroller in the control box which sends the pilot information serially
down to the sub itself which has 2 microcontrollers in it.  One is the main processor,
the other's primary job is to move the servo to which a camera is attached.

I use Pulse Width modulation for motor control (4 thrusters -- 2 horizontal, 2 vertical).
Fortunately, the PICs I am using have 2 PWM outputs each, so that part is quite easy.

I also have a depth sensor, digital compass, and external temperature sensor.  The data
is read by the main PIC, sent up the wire to the control box.  I don't have a display on my
control box yet, but I can plug my laptop into my control box.  The software I wrote for it
displays all the sensor info, and allows me to control the sub from there too (ie/ bottom
following, etc).

It sounds like you also have a very interesting project on the go.  Shame we don't live closer.
It would be fun to compare notes.  I am working with another fellow here on building an
autonomous sub also..we have had a few preliminary successes, but still have some more to do...

Keep in touch...

Julian