[PSUBS-MAILIST] retractable forward planes

Hello all . . .

A long time ago I designed retractable forward planes for my sub-to-be. I've since lost the paperwork and I haven't for the life of me been able to remember how I did it.

Does anyone know how the military boats do it?  I could sit down and design something new but I simply don't have the time.

As I would like the planes withdrawn into the hull like a Typhoon, and not just lifted up like a diesel electric WWII fleet boat, I was thinking rack-and-pinion with a solenoid but I'd like to keep the electrics to a minimum for obvious reasons.

A lever actuated hydraulic (muscle powered) with a long throw piston at the planes end might work.

Any thoughts?  No doubt the answer is ridiculously simple.

Rick