Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Penetrators

Hi Robby,
Thanks!  I took my time with the project.  I was determine not to set any
dead lines, but build it at a pace that would let me tinker with the little
extras.  There are a lot of stainless pieces not called for in the plans
also.

Different then the plans?  The pressure hull is according to the plans.  I
figures why mess around with a successful design.  I know there are a few
versions of  K-350 plans out there.  As Captain Kittredge produced the subs,
he altered some things according to customer requirements.  The plans that
were sold vary depending which set you got.  The actual pressure hull should
be near the same in all cases though.  I took liberties and shaped my main
ballast tanks for the look I wanted.  One of my personal touches.

I couldn't find the penetrates that were called for in the design but did
find others.  Most were good for far deeper then the sub will be going and
quite pricey.  I added many extra external lights to the sub, all
individually controlled.  It would take a bunch of standard penetrates to
wire them all in.  I decided to design and build my own to fit my needs.

I did some experimenting with epoxies and testing with a 1500psi pressure
washer until I came up with my design.  I made sketches, but sort of
designed them at the lathe as I was going along.  The pics of the penetrates
before they were put together should give you the idea of what I did.
Basically they are a stainless steel cavity with a drilled hole for each
cable from each light and another set of holes for each conductor that
passed into the hull.  Each conductor that passes through into the hull is
stripped and tinned with solder where it passes through the epoxy filled
cavity. There is no chance of water seeping through the strands or past the
epoxy.

Don't use silicone to seal your viewports.  Over a period of time, it will
break down in sea water .  Use urethane instead.  I called West Marine and
talked to their tech guys about it.  They had a urethane product that they
recommended.  I buttered the lens seat with it and filed the cavity between
the lens and the housing with it also.  I machined my lenses with a 45
degree edge chamfer to accept an O-ring also.  I guess I didn't need both
urethane sealer and Buna O-ring, but why not?

My hatch cover lens is the conical one called for.  I greased it and put it
in with only an O-ring seal.   It's the only one that can be removed easily.
Since the hatch it locked down from the inside, I thought it wise to have
this lens removable with six little bolts, just in case someone has to get
to me inside.  Besides a torch, it's the only way into the sub in an
emergency.  I polished the seat for this lens but didn't lap it in.  I don't
know how much lapping would help since most of the distortion happens to the
seat while welding, not to the lens.  If you lapped them together the lens
would grind away far faster then the steel seat.

There is good reason for the name "Persistence."  It took a heck of a lot of
it to stick with the project through some of the more boring times of
construction.  Get back to yours.  You'll have something to dive in time
also.

Anything I can help with, feel free to ask.  I'm no authority on subs but
probably fell in most of the pit falls at least once on each phase of the
project.  I'd be happy to steer you where I can.

I've been out diving several times now and am getting the hang of operating
it more smoothly now.  Not great, but better.  It's like learning to drive a
car.  I've only been playing around in shallow water, 25 feet, to learn how
to operate it better.  Before I dive deeper, I want to do a deep water hull
test to 500 feet.  I'm really looking forward to late season and early
spring diving when the local waters a clearer.

Robby, how far along are you with yours?

Dan H.