Update : Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] From Florida to Cape Code - Without Moving

Hmmm, I had one of those senior moments.  ' Forgot to list the
source for these docs :

NASA Technical Reports Server
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/

If you are interested in the 5 volume Contractors Report, go to the
advance search link, and in the title put :

"Use of the Ben Franklin submersible as a space station analog"

the date : 1970

There is a NASA summary for the Gulf Stream Drift Mission

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/index.cgi?method=ordering&oaiID=oai:casi.ntrs.nasa.g
ov:19790073489

But, I don't think this is the full document.

: )  Steve

Update:

Ken [ and anyone interested ]

I still haven't located the "GSDM", but I just received a copy of
the  "CR Reports"  102823 thru 102828  :
[ also burned a large hole in my wallet getting it ]

"Use of the Ben Franklin Submersible as a Space Station Analog"
May 1970

Much of it references directly from the GSDM and includes most of
the stats from the Ben Franklin.

Ken, I believe you witnessed an event in history that was *key* to
future space missions up until now [ and continues to play a
significant role ] but largely went unnoticed in the general public.
Submersibles, now, are an important tool for the development of
space exploration.  The Europa Mission is a good example.

I'm still continuuing the search for GSDM.

--Steve

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:46:15 EDT Subscuba@aol.com writes:
> Steve,
>
> I called Bill Rand (1968 or so) and asked if the Sub could be
> toured.  Bill
> responded that due to my job (EE) I was invited to tour the Sub and
> did so  for
> about 1 hour. Bill was responsive to my questions. I was especially
>
> interested in the Battery system. Bill explained about the oil
> covering the  batteries
> and how it was heavier than sea water so it would stay on the
> batteries. He
> said the oil was developed for submarine use by the Navy.
>
> I went to a lecture by J. Piccard on the Sub, what I remember most
> was a
> question by a little girl about why the Sub was painted white. J.
> Piccard
> responded that he liked white and asked what color the young lady
> would like.  The
> girl was too embarrassed to answer.
>
> Ken Martindale

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!