Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Reverse engineering in CAD

Hey Peter,

> cursing helps :)  i find staring at the screen vacuously for hours (sometimes drooling and 'sleeping on an idea') helps too.

LOL. well, I do that, too.  Mainly because I'm becoming an old fart
and it seems to come with the territory.  I've traded my pillow for
a giant sponge and my wife has to wear a raincoat at night.

> Alas, the design phase is expected to take at least 12mths.  I am fairly certain that my preferred material - acrylic, will end up being impractical, both for cost, fabrication and weight.  This will then force further changes to my design........

12 months is not a unreasonable time frame.  Most of us do not benefit
from any kind of funding or support.  We're doing it all solo and with
our own resources.  The frustration factor has to be high and mistakes
are costly.  Good planning is key and we have sage counsel here on
pSubs forum to keep us from making a lot of mistakes.  I joined pSubs
around early January of 2000.  DanH was in the early stages of building
"Persistence"  Nearly 5 years later, we were privvy to Persistence's
completion and launch !  That's quite remarkable and a feat.  It's
not my sub, yet, I felt pride and happiness that one of us labored thru
this with success !  Persistence is a very good name for Dan's sub, but
more aptly describes the kind of persistence he has that we all hope
to have too.

> basically, don't hold your breath hahaha.  in fact you will need much more than 72hrs emergency air.
>
> Question:  we all know that the laws of the sea say that when shipwrecked and drifting in a lifeboat, you kill and eat the cabin boy first, then work your way up the ranks.  Another option is everyone chops off a leg (in turn by rank again).  Is there a similar protocol when stuck on the bottom?  I was just thinking that 72 hours emergency air for two people is 144 hours for one.........comments?

I think in an emergency, there's never enough air.  But, it's not so much
how much air you have as it's important what contigency plan you have
for such an emergency.  Like having a dive plan, map of area, and
notifying someone in advance.  72 - 144 hours of air, but 24 hours or
less should raise alarms with someone landside to take action.  Also,
some kind of tethered buoy beacon that can be released with light
and sound to mark your position, perhaps a transponder built in too.

Other than that, if you get hungry, I suggest carrying a spice rack in
your emergency kit, in case your foot starts to look appetizing : )
May I suggest that we all think up some tasty recipes and post
them on Moki.

--Steve