Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Wet-sub propulsion stability and X-tail

Jon,
Is it so necessary to go so fast on the surface? if you have a separate motor, then all of your efficiency requirements are different. If you DO have a separate petrol motor, you can just (more sedately) motor out on the petrol motor, dive, look at cool stuff and motor around with the electric motor, surface and drive back home on the petrol motor. This might be less practical if you intend to dive to a site that is a large fraction of (or multiples of) an hour away from the shore, but otherwise, I can't say that I see a great deal of benifit (given all the caveats you have outlined) in having a high-speed surface boat that turns into a low-speed sub.

If you dont need to hydroplane, and all your questions are solved!
EM.

Jonathan Huntoon wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have been an avid reader of the psubs website for quite sometime. My purpose in this email is two fold. First, I have decided to join the mailing list, and I thought I would make my formal introduction. I currently a college student and I have been interested in submersibles since my senior year of High School. I undertook an ambitious project to build a one-man wet submersible. Using trolling motors, batteries, plywood and PVC, I created what many considered a death trap, but it worked! Due to problems with electrical insulation, the system only performed admirably in fresh water, going 5 or 6 knots. I vowed, that if I ever had the time, money, and inclination, that I would go back and try building another wet sub, correcting all the problems with the first design. My second purpose in this email is to ask a few questions. I have done my best to go back and read all the topics applicable to my situation. I found very little information however, on my specific questions. I think the best thing to do would be to give everyone a little background into my new project, in hopes of giving you a picture of my ideas. I am majoring in engineering, and I have experience in CAD. So someday I can attach some design pictures. I case you haven’t figured out by this point, I have decided to make a new submersible. I was comforted to know I was not alone in my efforts. Most people couldn’t believe I made my first sub, so I thought they would not be surprised when I started another. I was wrong (It is difficult sometimes when everyone thinks you’re completely nuts). I have made every effort in my new sub to follow hydrodynamics. As I mentioned before my sub is a wet sub, it will hold two people. The sub design is 14’ long and 4’ diameter at the widest point, which is 5’6” down the length. The sub follows a tear drop contour and is as hydro-dynamically sound as I can make it and still keep the project manageable. I wanted to make my project unique, and so I decided to try to come up with one solution to the age old question of sub endurance and speed. Because my vehicle is a wet sub, the driver must wear SCUBA gear to operate it. Therefore it is not practical to drive the vehicle out to the dive site. I wanted a way to quickly get the sub to the dive site, dive down, surface, and then quickly drive the vehicle home. As I am sure you all know the ideal hydrodynamic shape underwater performs very poorly on the surface. As waves pile up on the hull, the vehicle looses all efficiency. I asked myself how to fix this many times, and the solution seemed to be staring me in the face. One of the advantages that wet subs have is their weight. I can make my hull out of fiberglass. What would happen if I added enough power to the vehicle to get the whole hull to hydroplane out of the water? The way the sub is contoured it might work. I have designed my sub to (hopefully) hold a 40HP e-start outboard motor. When the sub is on the surface, the outboard will propel the entire sub out of the water at a high rate of speed. I can drain the hull and close it making it a surface boat. Underwater I will withdraw the outboard into the hull and store it in a pressure compensated compartment. This minimizes flooding issues with the motor, and eliminates the hull protrusion. When I was faced with the obstacle of how I would steer my submersible, I immediately drawn to the cruciform arrangement. I am a big proponent of the KISS principle. Underwater steering can be accomplished with the cruciform, but when the sub is hydroplaning the tail presents a problem. Even if I extend the tail through some means so that a section of the rudder is underwater, when the boat travels at high speed there could be a real instability. Realistically the hull could be completely out of the water. I was originally only going to have the motor stationary, but even if I rigged it to turn a little, is there a danger of the sub getting out of control? I have seen too many movies of those high speed boats flipping out of control and hurting people. I know I am inside the sub, but it can still hurt me it flips at 30+ mph. I decided a way I might combat this instability it to use an X-tail. Some navies around the world have opted for the tail because it gives 25% tighter turns. I like it because I am considering using a piston to extend the lower fins of the X into the water when the sub is at high speed, effectively giving me 3 points of a stable tripod. Does this idea sound crazy? I could turn the sub, but also adjust the hull pitch up and down. My last question is if anyone has experience dealing with X tail control systems. Due to the complexity, I would need all four fins to be actuated separately. I would need joystick control, and some sort of motor control that could take my stick position and turn it into the proper fin position. The trick is the forces off the fins are additive, so all four fins need to work together. I realize this is a long email, but I look forward to reading anyone’s insights on the matter.
Best Regards,

Jonathan Huntoon

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/

automated process and should be complete within five minutes of receipt
of your request.

mailto:removeme-personal_submersibles@psubs.org

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 311