RE: Reply to: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ABS - 3/17.1.1 - Normal Ballast System

My expertise doesn't come even remotely close to what these two gentlemen
have. However, I'd like to present a different viewpoint, that of a newbie.

In my short time of being a part of this group, I've learned so much, both
from the general postings and emails to individuals directly. If this
information would be complied into a set of standards for personal subs, it
would be extremely beneficial to a newbie, such as myself. It would be a
good starting point, much like the "design guidelines" section on the Psubs
site, (I especially appreciated the article authored by Gary Boucher).

This group is not an official body with authority to enforce standards or to
certify designs. So these standards would be more like guidelines, not some
thing that would be set in stone that one had to follow.  So a
designer/engineer still has the freedom to deviate from the guidelines as
set forth in the document. In my opinion, it might be thought of a best
practices type of document.

For example, consider the case of Pierre's BIG. If the document stated that
freeboard MUST be 2.5', it would be near impossible for Pierre to go by
this, his sub is only 38" tall. The fact that he couldn't meet this
"requirement" doesn't invalidate his design.

My concern would be if people viewed these as a set of rules. If anyone
deviated from them, they might be castigated by other members of this group.
This may cause a split between the followers of standards and those that
don't. This may in turn squelch the interest of new ones.

The goal of the document, IMHO, is to help improve safety and designs, not
to be a rigid set of rules. It will be another "must read" for a new
personal sub designer.

Marten

PS I've got my flame retardant suit on, so bring it on :-)