Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] propane tanks revisited

Hi Brian.. The small wall tickness is the problem..
..for a shallow dive depth sub or an ambient sub maybe..

>From the archive:

What do you thing about the following estimate figures :

1.) Sub with used propane tank hull :
14250 $ and about 100 ft dive deep.

2.) Sub with new propane tank hull :
15100 $ and about 100 ft dive deep.

3.) Sub with custom made shell :
15101 $ and about 1000 ft dive deep.

Dive deep versus the Dollars :

No.1.) 152 Dollar per feet
No.2.) 161 Dollar per feet
No.3.)  16 Dollar per feet...

Hmm - seems you save 3 hours for the longitudinal weld and 4 hours
for the cycle weld - but you waste 2 hours to cut one endcap from
the propane tank and give some extra hours for cleaning and
sandblasting the old colour away.. .. you have to spent some
extra money for more lead you need - because your propane tank
shell is so light..

Another point:

If you spent money for a good custom made hull - and save
maybe money on the other equipment during building your sub
- you can later spent additional money to purchase better
or additional equipment - and you will get a better sub.

If you purchase a cheap propane tank - to save money during
construction - later no money, no time and even no better
equipment will help to make the sub better.

So again - what do you save - really ?

see you - Carsten