Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pampanito

Hugo,  Thanks,  I've been studying the Parker "o" ring catalog and I believe that the whole concept is starting to sink into my thick scull !  They have a dovetail shaped "o" ring groove is what you are describing, the dovetail allows space for when the "o" ring deforms due to the closing of the hatch.

Brian
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 9:23 AM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pampanito

Brian,

The most common hatch sealing surface is flat, with an o-ring in the center of the hatch sealing surface. The hatch o-ring grrove must be machined in such a way that the o-ring will not fall off. Normally this is done by precision milling the groove with one of the walls angled so that the top of the groove is slightly smaller than the radius of the o-ring.

An o-ring handbook will have the information with all the dimensions to machine the groove for the selected o-ring material and durometer.

Hugo