Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sound Absorption

Hi Martin,

Welcome aboard !

Try these for search words: sound dampening, vibration dampening,
sound and vibration dampening. Try , Supracor , also.

I have yet the pleasure of diving in my own submersible. My experience
has been on-board boats and living below decks near or below the
water line.

I don't think you want to be totally insulated from residual sound. It
can be
your friend if the engine or propulsion system [ or any other moving part
]
doesn't sound right as to its proper function.

What's the size of your sub?  Using sound insulation can also trap heat,
especilay body heat and exhaled breath if the cabin is totally covered
fore to aft.  Using strips of foam material judiciously placed will
minimize
noise.  Also, breathable fabrics as covering for seats or cockpit seats
will help to absorb sound.

Is your propulsion inside [ shaft driven ] or outside.  I imagine
bushings
and gaskets can eliminate vibration and also mechanical fatiguing
over time.

Other than this, a set of head phones, a CD player, and a good set of
tunes
 will block out out sound, too  : )

Tell us more about your sub.

--Steve

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:50:50 -0400 "Marten Liebster"
<mliebster@tbteam.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am in the initial process of designing a psub, my first. The web
> site and
> mailing list have to proven to be chock full invaluable information
> to me.
> One thing that I haven't seen much about (perhaps I'm searching on
> the wrong
> keywords) is that of sound absorption.
>
> I'd imagine that a psub could be a noisy place, with all of the
> motors,
> pumps, hydraulic and other equipment. It seems to me the hull would
> reflect
> back the sound waves, it being bare metal in a tube-like shape.
>
> Questions:
> Is your psub a noisy place?
> Do you use anything on the hull to absorb the sound?
>
> Thanks,
> Marten Liebster
> A psub newbie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!