Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] thru hull stress

OK , I think I'm on the right track now.   Machinery's Handbook,      fits and O rings   all the info is right there I just have to read it  dah   sorry for the ranting

Brian
----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Cox
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 8:12 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] thru hull stress

OK, I'm having a thru hull stress out.

       I've learned so much in the past year I've been with this group and I would like to thank everybody.  This is an incredible group  of people.  The core group who started this forum along with everybody else have really enriched my life measurably!!   Just wanted to make sure I said that if I haven't said it before.   I've learned to operate the lathe and mill along with many other skills of measuring and so forth.  And as an added benefit as well is that I have the  whole new area of machining to talk to my Father about.  He was/is a hydraulics engineer, we have always talked tech but now there is an added dimension to it.

  I'm still  learning however,  it's amazing to me how when you jump into something how you encounter the problems head on,  something your not going to get working on Auto Cad!!   I am still not entirely clear on this thru hull assembly that I'm trying to do.  I machined this part but now it is becoming apparent that I should have first obtained a standard "O" ring and made the shaft based on the size of the "O" ring that is off the shelf so I'm not fighting correct tolerance problems.  The other thing I'm in a quandery about is the fact that the "O" ring needs about 10 thousanths space between the shaft and the hole.  It seems to me that this is going to create a bit of slop when turning the valve handle once the thru hull is in place, hence the need for a concentric larger diameter shaft with closer tolerance that does not have an "o" ring. or maybe reduce that diameter just near the "o" ring.  Also the fitting or female part where the shaft goes into needs to have a rounded or tapered hole so the "o" ring does not tear when being inserted into the hole.  And I'm not sure how long I should make the part, how much it should protrude on each side of the 1/4" hull.        Anyone have some thoughts on some of my quanderies?

What I might do is proceed with what I think is right and then put up a picture of what I've got and get some reaction from the group.  Thanks all !!

Brian "stress-out" Cox