Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Speaking of youngsters and dive physiology in general

    Erik,

    I hadn't actually given it a thought until recently, when another friend brought up the idea.  Something along the lines of that reset button on the sub in the movie "The Abyss"?  Push a button every ten minutes or so to reset a timer, or else voltage is applied to some electric solenoid valves to blow the MBT's and surface.  Might not be a bad idea at all.

     Chris

Erik Muller <emuller@naic.edu> wrote:
Mike (and Chris)
Do you guys install in your submarines a 'deadmans handle', or something
of the sort, whereby constant (or frequent) contact is necessary or the
sub will automatically surface? Perhaps I am misunderstanding the
condition, but is such a thing warranted?
EM.

Michael B Holt wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:47:58 -0800 (PST) Chris Nugent writes:
>

>> I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 14. Been taking meds
>>ever since and they keep it nicely under control, no worries.
>>

>I have the same situation. Same age, even.
>

>> When I
>>decided I wanted to build a sub I made some inquiries with my
>>neurologist regarding learning to scuba dive, and she said she had no
>>problem with it as long as the instructors are aware and able to cope
>>with it.
>>

>Back when *I* asked the question, when I was 14, my neuro
>smiled at me in that kindly way reserved for idiots when asked
>the question. My mother had told him I was interested in diving.
>Right there, I switched to submarines. Yes, I got The Look when
>I made my announcement about the switch.
>

>>So, for those of you who are well versed in scuba and dive
>>physiology, what are your thoughts on scuba diving for those people
>>who have a seizure disorder but since they take medication and are ok,
>>want to do it? Is there any history of epileptic scuba divers and
>>what changes are made to accomodate any abnormal effects of gas or
>>pressure on a slightly less than perfect brain like that?
>>

>I prefer "modified" to "slightly less than perfect."
>
>I'm interested in any commentary on this, too. I can't imagine
>that it would be practical (read "possible") to juggle the gas
>mixture to allow for different brain chemistry. To do this, one
>would have to hook up the epileptic to an EEG, in a hyperbaric
>chamber, and alter the gas mixture when they seized. In most
>circles, that would at very least unethical. Interesting, but not
>permitted, these days.
>

>> I think we're all pretty well agreed that scuba certification is
>>a prerequisite for building a sub, so I hope this doesn't sink the
>>whole plan.
>>

>If I can't dive, I'm not going to scrap the whole thing. I'll just have
>to cultivate some divers. Gail, need any help in your humanities
>classes?
>

>Mike

>The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
>Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you?re looking for faster.