Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Scuttle Valve: Bad Idea

adteleka@in-tch.com schrieb:

> Why are you guys so hell bent on getting out of your sub. Like you said
> Dan, if you have a diver that can come down to assist you why do you
> automatically think he has to assist you out of the sub? The best thing you
> could ask for is an extra set of hands on the outside to untangle/cut
> whatever. Unless you friction welded your sub to some underwater structure,
> you pbobably have some serious design problems to deal with, which does not
> include adding a suicide valve. Look at Kittredge's book where he talkes
> about that guy who couldn't blow his tanks. Or when Capt. K misscalculated
> displacement. (Where is Vance Bradley he should chime in on this one) The
> sub I am most familliar with, in opperation today, has dived all over the
> world over the last 20 years and it does not have a scuttle valve. Did the
> designer forget to put one in, of course not, he knows its a bad idea. This
> is a classic Psubs example (Jon and Ray have a great site) of where the
> thinking stops too short.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

Adam - what should a diver do with 60 ts sub - heavy dammged
- maybe half flooded on the bottom ? And can he find the sub in time ?
I know some really old german navy sailors  - leaving
there sub on the bottom of the Baltic or North Sea in 1944/45
 and some of them are still alive.. What is the problem with a flooded
valve ?
It is easy to build, easy to secure, cheap - and just a additional
feature..
Same with the drop weight - most military boats have no drop weight and
survive over 20
years without any problem. But for civil sub it is in the rules..

Imagine you a trap in a sub - just in 60 feet of water - far out of
course from
you dive plan.. The dead guys in the Largo M. in the mud trap "Tigerhai"
- no way out.
The divers search for the sub over a half year..

regards Carsten