Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] progress

In a message dated 3/9/04 5:32:54 PM Pacific Standard Time, carro@wans.net writes:
Hey.  The hemispheres were hard to find.  They came as rough sections from "Commercial Metal Forming" Orange Co. CA.  cguido@cmforming.com  Tell her I said Hi. :)
Thanks for the reference!
They are 3/8 thick and 36 in. in Diameter.  They were just under $1000 .  But the Co. has sent me a warning that steel prices are going up.
More than I'd hoped, but less than expected.  I'll need one 28" in diameter and 1/4" thick.
and a whopping good deal on a piece of 1/2 gas pipeline remnant,  $170.
Nice scavenging!  Used or new?  Do you know what grade of steel?
A local weld shop has adopted me and Rod is an employee there.  I am paying for their services.  ( cut rate so far).
Convenient; friends are nice.  Brian took the route of taking welding classes at a community college and was fortunate enough to find an instructor that warmed to the idea of his project.
I have about $4200 invested so far including a $1000 failed attempt to make my own motor housings, and $400 in machining costs for view ports and hatch cover 'O' ring seals.
Ouch! on the $1k motor housing mistake.  Care to share the nature of the mistake?  Are you closer to projecting a final cost for your sub?
They cutting and grinding of the hemispheres took many hours.  I've used (6) 71/4 grinding wheels so far.
Cutting?  And is that pre- or post-weld grinding?

Warm Regards,
Shawn

*****

"Call nothing thy own except thy soul.
Love not what thou art, but only what thou may become.
Do not pursue pleasure, for thou may have the misfortune to overtake it...
Live in the vision of that one for whom great deeds are done ..."

Man of LaMancha, D. Wasserman