Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aussie Roll Call

Hello Peter..
I am Australian..though overseas at present. I will be moving back to sydney probably at the beginning of 2005 (hopefully, I will be able to start bashing something together then!).
The 'shared yoke of howards imperium' I love it!.

I am not sure what kind of machine you are building. I aim to use fibreglass, resin,aluminum, steel and acrylic. These things are all available from local suppliers at cheap-ish prices. However, I do have one tip: if you are looking for large amounts of fibreglass matting and resin, go straight to a custom-surfboard manufacturer. The little guys who work out of a shed, and they can sell you mounds of the stuff at about 25% of hardware-shop prices. Having said that, I dont imagine that there are many surfboard manufacurers in Gloucester! The beauty of resin is that it is incompressable.. make sure you get all the bubbles out.

EM.

Peter McKellar wrote:

Hi All,
If you haven't already gather as much, I live in Australia. I'm actually in a smallish country town about 3.5hrs drive north of sydney, and inland by about 1hr. The town is called Gloucester (in NSW) and has a population of about 2,500. Australia suffers from 'The Tyranny of Distance'. We are in the middle of nowhere (Australia), and I am remote from even a sizable city :) I probably won't ever get to a psubs convention, and if I do, the chances of bringing any sub I built would be negligible. I can't drive for a couple of hours and check the progress of a fellow psubber in Seattle or Texas. Are there any psubbers here that live in Australia? I suspect that like most places on the net, we are over-represented on a per capita basis. Maybe someone lives nearby and we could develop a SIG of local enthusiasts? Under the shared yoke of Howard's imperium we could also try to find a way to fund our projects under the shadow of financial gloom. We could collect (or even establish) a list of local suppliers. I do not see (or desire) this becoming a separate body, just the formation of a local and informal support net. So - all aussies - put your hands up please! (comments from all welcome too). peter