Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] thru hull fittings

Thijs,

Measuring an internal groove is difficult but it's not that difficult to
machine.  I put internal grooves in all my thru hulls.  Some were as small
.625 inch shaft diameter.  I put one O-ring in each end of my thru hull for
a double seal.  That's the way Kittredge has it on his K-250 and K-350
plans.  All it take is a lathe and a tool ground to cut the internal groove
width you want.

Once you finish the bore to the finished diameter, put the internal grooving
tool in the lathe.  Crank it into the bore to where you want the groove.
With the lathe turning, crank the compound out until it just touches the
wall of the internal bore.  Now you know where the tool is.  In my case, at
.625 diameter.  Now, with the lathe still turning, crank the cross slide out
to the diameter of the root of the groove, and that's that.

There isn't any real need to measure the finish groove if you follow that
procedure.  If your still not sure of yourself, make a test piece.  Make it
the same way I described for the groove, only instead of putting the tool
way in the bore, cut your test as an internal shoulder where you can easily
measure the diameter you get.  When you have what you want, go farther in
the bore and make your groove cranking in the same amount with the cross
slide as you did for your test.

The tolerance of the groove isn't as critical as the annular clearance,
between the shaft and thru hull.  If your a few thousands either way, an
O-ring will still seal fine.  The larger the O-rings cross section the more
forgiving the groove tolerance.  A  .139 cross section ring is a good size
to use.  Not to big, and yet if your four thousands of an inch this way or
that, it will still work fine.  The groove length is even less critical but
be sure you have room for the squeezed O-ring to push into.  Follow the
chart for the dimensions.

Sorry, I see I got a bit wordy and I apologize.  :-()

Dan H.