From: "Ray Keefer" <Ray.Keefer@Sun.COM>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Acrylic laminating

> Hi Pierre,
>
> What little I remember back to my days in a platic fabrication shop.
> 15+ years ago.
>
> The chemical was called MDC (I think). The stuff is not only volitile but
> carciongenic. Wear latex/rubber gloves and avoid all skin exposure. Do not
breath.

> We used syringes with the tips of the needles broken off to squirt the
stuff between acrylic pieces to be glued. Place the two pieces of material
together then squirt the MDC along the edge. The wicking action will pull
the MDC in and will set in 3 or 4 seconds.

> As I recall, MDC never totally distributed evenly. There were spots that
did not get the glued. Which was fine for the applications we were using it
for. Also MDC was clear so no ugly residue spoiling the looks of clear
acrylic. You had to look closely to notice where it never wicked to.

> My concern for your application is two fold:
>
> 1. Is the boundry layer where the MDC is applied just as strong as the
surrounding acrylic or weaker? If weaker then you have a failure point.

> 2. Uneven distribution of MDC could leave the material left after the
machining weak or even unglued.

> The upside is that you are making an ambient pressure sub so the stresses
on the dome would not be neary as great as with a 1 ATM sub.

the web you could try Tap Plastics (www.tapplastics.com).

> Regards,
> Ray
>
> Brian Cox wrote:
> >
> >  Pierre,
> >
> >          I'm not sure what the chemical is for lamiating two sheets of
Plexiglass together is.  But where ever they sell acrylic they usally have
it on hand.  I know it is very volitile and you should have good venilation
when using it.  As with most such materials you don't want to breath it !  I
will try and find the name of it.