Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] protecting aluminum parts

Polishing will reduce the surface area to a minimum - and a fine new
layer of oxide will cover the aluminium very quick - but I agree
polishing is more common for stainless steel than for aluminium. In
general we cover our aluminium motoryachts with zinc anodes in seawater
and with magnesium anodes in river- or lake water. And with a multi
-layer of epoxi-paints.

If we paint a hull we ever use an special aluminium acid primer on a
fresh grinded or better blast aluminium hull - a normal metal primer
will give to quick way.

Most problems we have with aluminium hull are in the area of the
propellers which are normaly make out of bronze.
Even aluminium ships laying on a steel harbour key for longer times
can capture big troubles - special on the wall side.

I like the idear of a transparent cover of paint or epoxi. Special in a
area near a arclic-dome.. (repaint without outbuilding the dome..)

A Psub will normaly only in water for hours - so corrosion should be not
a such big deal.

Carsten