Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Bath tubs?

On Tuesday, January 6, 2004, at 05:33 AM, Mark H. Easter wrote:

Anyone (else) ever contemplated going to sea in a pair of welded together (old style) metal bath tubs?  Or am I the only imbecile that’s come up with this scheme?

Uh-oh.

I *have* two cast iron tubs. That would be *HEAVY*, alright.

But isn't cast iron awfully brittle for this kind of use? I keep breaking hand pumps by tightening the two bolts that clamp the cylinder part to the base part.

And isn't it supposed to be tough to weld? I've had conflicting opinions on that. It seems like welding is "one of those things" where people have overly strong, confident opinions that may or may not have much to do with reality. One guy will tell me how aluminum is really, really hard to weld, and another says he does it all the time and it's easier than anything else. Etc.

Actually, if your old tubs are in good condition, you could probably sell them to antique nuts or restorers for enough to purchase a spankin' new pressure vessel.