[PSUBS-MAILIST] protecting aluminum parts

One of the relatively more expensive parts of my sub is a massive aluminum ring that seats the acrylic bow dome and opens and closes as a hatch. I know it will form an electrolytic pair with other metals on the boat, and thus corrode. But I have a practical question… given the sub is likely to be in the water only an hour or two, and get washed down with fresh water afterwards, is the need to protect the aluminum real, or would it only be an issue with longer exposures?

I’d be much obliged if anyone with unprotected Al parts on their sub share their experience on this. Anoziding looks nice but on a part this size would be very expensive (extrapolating from what I’ve paid for much smaller parts, probably in the order of $500). I’m not sure whether to:

a)       Do nothing

b)       Use a zinc anode near the hatch

c)       Paint

d)       Anodize

Just as background information, I don’t have any other metals in direct contact with the Al on the wet side, except for the hatch seat, but that should be pretty well protected as it has 4 coats of Gluvit epoxy base and 5 coats of epoxy paint. On the dry side, the ring is mechanically connected to bars that go through linear bearings attached to the hull. This does connect it electrically to the hull as well.

Thanks,

Alec