Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Speculation...

Greetings Rick

Exactly! I wanted the same things in a sub.  Dry Ambient and Surface Planing is the design I am currently building.  I had to give up on light weight.  My sub will tip the scales at over 5000lbs, but its still trailer-able. In my fist designs I intended to use sand and rock as ballast to save weight, but now I'm planing on a good old V-8 for surface power, and a ton of lead and battery to make it sink while keeping the small 2-person cabin dry.  I also wanted a great view so the cabin is up front and the floor is clear.  When the water is too murky to see anything we can wake board!  A boat with this kind of HP and displacement will cut one helluva groove in the lake.

Take a look and see what you think. I am always looking for good ideas. http://jackson.parcabul.com/sub/index.html

I'll use some airplane ideas too. A boat and airplane builder I've met turned me on to using control push-pull tubes from Airplane technology. I looked at the composite route too, but to get the structure needed to support the ballast I needed to use a core, and to get the core to sink it had to be dense, and that much dense core made the boat weigh too much. And finally I priced the fiberglass and that sunk the idea.  Steel would have been the cheapest route, but I splurged for aluminum to save on the weight. I am hoping the completed project comes in at about $20 to $24K.  --Doug J