RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] How much drop weight?

Hey Pierre,

A brief update on Solo... this last weekend the welder came by and we
finished the pressure hull. I use a professional welder for the pressure
boundary welds. I can stick metal together, but the difference between
my efforts and those of a professional are night and day. The hull was
"finished" before, but over time I had come up with the need for several
more stainless inserts, plus we ground out and redid any prior welds
that were the slightest bit suspect. I am now a firm believer in
grinding down welds... it really increased my confidence in the weld
quality. I know there are two schools of thought on that one, and don't
intend to restart an old thread, but I'm convinced!

I've just finished all the miscellaneous large and small mounting
brackets in the hull. Everything from heavy battery racks to very small
attachments to hold down air lines. I put in longitudinal brackets on
both sides of the interior, and on the "ceiling", for the entire length
of the boat. These longitudinal rails have a threaded hole every 3", and
are 9" apart. This way, all internal panels and equipment will have
compatible mounts, and can be moved around in the future. I like the
result, although admittedly it took a while to drill and tap nearly 300
holes. This replaced my earlier idea of building a removeable chassis
that would come out through the bow for maintenance. As in so many other
cases, I changed my mind only after actually building the part! I found
putting things in the center of the internal airspace just took up too
much room, while removeable panels like this should still be reasonably
easy to maintain, and allow me to worm my way to the stern with
everything installed.

Another minor design mod... my flood valve is on the roof rather than
the floor. This serves two purposes; believe it or not, it's the best
ergonomics with this interior, and second I can put a "snorkel" out
through the valve if I am ever adrift on the surface.

I am awaiting delivery of a sandblaster I bought on eBay a few days ago.
When it arrives, I'll paint and begin assembly. Will send pictures at
that point. I still estimate there's a year to go, at least.

How about your boat?

Cheers,

Alec