Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] fascinating stories

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:50:56 -0500
"Dan H." <JMachine@adelphia.net> wrote:

> For now, the most I have to share are stories about getting my K-350 to
> where it is now, three quarters finished.  I promise, later I will tell some
> stories of my simple diving adventures, boring as they may be, but I know
> that I'll tire of diving too, and be on a totally different course someday.
> Maybe UPWARD next time!  ;-)

Dan, I'm really looking forward to some boring submarine stories. ;-)
Serious, I want to hear the nitty gritty of psub operations. Some of
best more 'boring'/technical stories I've found have been in the online
diaries of student oceanographers who had gotten a research dive or
two in Alvin or some other deep sea mini-sub - great stuff, from eating
lunch at 5000feet (or whatever), to getting sea sick during the last
100feet to the surface (the motion which lead to sea sickness was
caused by 5 foot+ high waves on the surface).

One concern about building a psub I do have, is that I see a lot of
people who operate their sub a couple of times after completion and
then it doesn't see any more action.  I would really like more dive
reports to learn why people stop operating their subs, too noisy? too
much hassle to launch and recover? hard finding support staff/helpers?
too cramped/uncomfortable? doesn't handle as expected? it's just a
lot of work and you only get a chance to dive once a year?

Saying that, they are a number of people who have been sharing there
stories over the years, and I really appreciate it.

Thanks!
  Ian.