Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Request identification of pressure air tanks.

minimum temp for use at 4000 psi is 4 degrees Fahrenheit

It is working pressure not test. The Test pressure, and safety factor (and
thus destruction pressure) depends on what they were manufactured for and
thus what section of the code they fall under.  Also intended service would
affect the corrosion allowance and thus have a great impact on the safety
factor.  4000 would be very conservative though.

Be careful what NPT fitting you get.  Most are only 160 psi.  You can get
5000, 7500, & 10,000 psi ones though.

Jay.

                      Warren Greenway
                      <opensourcesub@yahoo.com>         To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Request identification of pressure air tanks.
                      s@psubs.org

                      24/10/2003 09:20 AM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

I wouldn't worry about them being foreign tanks as
long as they are from the US or UK. The first set of
markings tells the maximum pressure, including a small
safety margin, at a given temperature. MOWT isn't on
the tanks I've seen. The other markings are
manufacturer numbers for tracking the tank. They
include date and sequential number. What size is the
thread? They usually have a 1/2" or 3/4" NPT on USA
tanks of that size for drainage. An NPT plug or valve
generally seals the hole. You should be able to buy
any
pipe/valve/plugs/adapters you might need from
www.mcmaster.com

Warren.