Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Back to surface propulsion (generators)

That is almost right, but not quite. The temperature
of the chamber when the diesel is injected isn't
actually high enough to cause combustion. The
compression has rise to the point where  the fuel/air
mixture is volatilized, which happens to be very near
top-dead-center. Obviously this is a good thing, since
otherwise you would have holes in your pistons!

Warren.