From: "Ian Roxborough"
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] kitredge sub

> On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:32:36 -0400
> bruno masse wrote:
>
> > another question.
> > it is about the kitredge sub
> > my question is: the k-600 have a 3/8" hull thickness and 1/2 thick end
cap
> > and can go to 600' feets.
> > a hull with 1/2 thickness and a end cap with 5/8 to 3/4 thickness can go
about
> > 1000' feets! i my wrong?
> > somebody can help me with this question please!
> > thank you
>
> In your hull with 1/2 thickness that goes to 1000feet,
> they are two thinks which you would have to take
> into account when comparing dive depths. Hull diameter
> will play a big part in making these calculations.
> Safety Margin is the other big factor when operational
> depths are being placed on hulls. Of course they are some
> other biggies as well, like material, what are the hulls
> made of? framing? hull length? hull length between
> heavy framing? how round is the cylinder?
>
> Assuming that material, diameter, framing, etc. are the
> same for the both hulls:
> The K600 can go a lot deeper than 600feet, I would guess
> that the theoretical crush depth of such a sub would be
> in the range of 2 or 3x the operational depth. Can the 1/2 inch
> thick hull go to 3000feet? Or is a 1000feet it's theoretical
> limit/clush depth for this hull.
>
> I remember reading/hearing about a K250 that was tested
> to distruction in a pressure tank. If I remember correctly,
> only the dome on the top failed, at around 3 times the
> operational depth ~700feet (please, somebody correct me if
> I'm wrong).
>
> The short version of this is:
> The K-class subs are serious over engineered (and I think
> this is very good thing).
>
> Ian.

Two guiding principles govern Israel Naval Commando doctrine:

1.Every defense system is vulnerable.

2.The enemy can deal with weapons and operational methods that are known; for that reason, naval commandos use imagination, daring and initiative, to create situations which cannot be anticipated.

Do you Yahoo!?