Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] kitredge sub

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:32:36 -0400
bruno masse <rodin4@videotron.ca> wrote:

> another question.
> it is about the kitredge sub
> my question is: the k-600 have a 3/8" hull thickness and 1/2 thick end cap
> and can go to 600' feets.
> a hull with 1/2 thickness and a end cap with 5/8 to 3/4 thickness can go about
> 1000' feets! i my wrong?
> somebody can help me with this question please!
> thank you

In your hull with 1/2 thickness that goes to 1000feet,
they are two thinks which you would have to take
into account when comparing dive depths.  Hull diameter
will play a big part in making these calculations.
Safety Margin is the other big factor when operational
depths are being placed on hulls.  Of course they are some
other biggies as well, like material, what are the hulls
made of?  framing? hull length?  hull length between
heavy framing? how round is the cylinder?

Assuming that material, diameter, framing, etc. are the
same for the both hulls:
The K600 can go a lot deeper than 600feet, I would guess
that the theoretical crush depth of such a sub would be
in the range of 2 or 3x the operational depth.  Can the 1/2 inch
thick hull go to 3000feet?  Or is a 1000feet it's theoretical
limit/clush depth for this hull.

I remember reading/hearing about a K250 that was tested
to distruction in a pressure tank.  If I remember correctly,
only the dome on the top failed, at around 3 times the
operational depth ~700feet (please, somebody correct me if
I'm wrong).

The short version of this is:
The K-class subs are serious over engineered (and I think
this is very good thing).

Ian.