Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] enquiry - Surface Propulsion

On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 04:15 PM, DJACKSON99@aol.com wrote:
> If your'e charging batteries you may want to connect to an alternator
> to a 3hp engine. With a good regulator you'll get charged up without
> mixing 110 volts and water. See:
> http://www.homepower.com/files/mark8.pdf

That's a good point. You also avoid the scary humming, bulk, and
inefficiency of running through a battery charger. I was talking to a
guy at a steam show recently, who had done this for his DC (and steam)
powered house: big Ford alternators with external voltage regulators so
he could set the charge voltage. He was using a Honda motor sized big
enough, and with a belt drive, which allowed him to run the engine at
*idle* and get useful output. Quiet! Besides being really heavy, 110V
chargers that can give the 30 or more amps you want for big batteries
are pretty expensive.

Even if you weren't thinking of having it built-in for more-autonomous
operation, this idea might be useful for p-subbers who want a simple,
friendly, cheap portable recharging system for their tender or back of
the pickup while the sub's on the trailer.