Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] enquiry - Propulsion

Hey everyone,

       I've been thinking about propulsion a lot, too, and I saw the other day in the WestMarine catalog an ad for a "Packless shaft seal ". They say something about graphite discs and self-sealing, maintenence-free, so on and so forth. What does everyone think about such devices in an underwater enviorment?

West Marine: P.S.S. (Packless Sealing System) Shaft Seals - Standard Product Display

       Maybe work, maybe not, I guess. What method of shaft sealing would you all reccommend for an inboard Diesel/electric single shaft sub, and along a similar thread, how would you guys seal a periscope or schnorkel?

Matt