RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] rib span

Hi Jon,

Your rationale is correct, but I'm afraid it's not the whole picture.
There's actually a number of independent ways a reinforced cylinder can
fail. Your reasoning holds for failures of the SHELL between stiffeners.
This could take two forms;

1) Buckling, in which the shell between two stiffeners collapses into a
series of lobes.
2) Yielding, in which the entire shell ring between two stiffeners
collapses simultaneously (sort of "sucks in").

The reason I asked for the overall length was that there is another
failure mode called "general instability", in which the shell and
stiffeners collapse TOGETHER over a large area spanning multiple
stiffeners. And as it turns out, that was the failure mode with the
lowest critical pressure in this instance. That probably explains the
difference between our results. You can avoid general instability by
beefing up the stiffeners, or by putting in an extra heavy one (a.k.a.
bulkhead) half way down the cylinder, effectively halving the overall
length used in the calculations, rather as you suggested. But either
solution implies a weight penalty.

Another thing to consider is that the weakest point of a K-350 might not
be the hull at all, but the flat window in the bow. I'm not sure about
that, it's just a hunch.

Rgds,

Alec