RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] rib span

Jon,

I ran two scenarios:

1) Using 0.25" plate, and the T stiffeners of the following dimensions:
web thickness = 0.25
web depth = 1.5
flange thickness = 0.25
flange width = 1.5

"Web" refers to the "vertical" part of the T, "flange" to the "hat".

result --> failure at 969' through general instability

2) Using 0.375" plate, and the T stiffeners as follows:
web thickness = 0.375
web depth = 1.5
flange thickness = 0.375
flange width = 1.5

result --> failure at 1,684' through general instability

That's quite a difference, no?

Alec