Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K-350 Question

Hi Mike,
I'm happy to help.

I welded the hatch ring and the viewports in the conning tower before
attaching the conning tower.  I then found a lathe large enough to turn the
whole conning tower and machined the hatch ring.  No matter how you try,
it's almost impossible to hold the ring true flat during the welding
process.

Also, to help hold the conning tower round while welding in the viewports
and machining, I tacked a temporary round steel plate in the bottom of the
conning tower.  It stayed in place during the welding and machining and
while tackwelding the conning tower to the thick transition ring.  When your
welding in the viewports, it really easy to warp both the conning tower and
the viewport rings too.  Don't over weld and don't over heat the assembly
and you go.  I ruined my first conning tower!

Yes, I sand blasted the hull before primering.  It's not a "must do" but a
good idea if you can do it.  I got the primer from a guy that buys it in
bulk for his business.  I don't know the type.  Sorry.

Ask away anything you want to.  I sure don't have all the answers but will
steer you away from some of the pitfalls I found.

How far along are you.  Any iron on the floor yet?

Dan H