Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Life Support Revisited

For background on this discussion, reference Phil Nuytten's excellent, paper
titled " Life Support in Small One-Atmosphere Underwater Work Systems"
presented at the 3rd International Conference on Life-Support and Biosphere
Science held at lake Buena Vista, Florida, January 11-15, 1998.

As described in the paper, for a 1- atm, system in which CO2 is scrubbed
from the air, the cabin pressure is  reduced and if pure make up O2 is added
to bring the pressure back to 1 atm, then the original mole distribution of
gaseous components of the cabin air will be restored. So theoretically, you
would not have to have an O2 sensor.  But from a practical point of view,
there are many reasons you want to have the sensor.  First, if you are
designing to one of the engineering standards such as ABS, they require a
measurement of the partial pressure of O2. Besides, this is pretty cheap
insurance if some part of the life support systems goes wrong, such as the
barometric pressure sensor being out of calibration, content of makeup O2
tank being different from what you expected, leaking of air or O2 fittings
that would cause a slow pressure build in boat, and scrubber absorbent being
saturated. Anyone doing work on a 1-atm psub should test every design
decision and every system from a safety perspective with the goal of making
the boat as safe as possible.  Should you have O2 and CO2 sensors, on a
1-atm psub, absolutely from my perspective!

Cliff Redus