From: Dan H. [mailto:JMachine@adelphia.net]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 4:24 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Troller motors

Troy / Brian
As you noted, you can't just run a sealed bearing, but there are proper
seals available.  Depending on the depth you are designing for, there are
several seals available.   Even a simple O-ring will work, although it's
life is not long.  For most subs in the Psub range, a carbon and ceramic
pump seal will work well.  They start at around $10 US and go to around $40
US and are a bit bulky.  Most water pumps use them.

Motors in sealed pods with carbon ceramic seals is the method used on a
K-250, K-350 and K-600.  (to 600 feet of depth)  I don't think you can just
put a trolling motor in a pod though.  Trolling motors are physically quite
small for their power output.  This tells me that they require quite a lot
of cooling.  When submerged in water, the water acts a large heat sink for
these motors.  If placed in a pod the pod jacket would stay cool but I fear
the motor inside will get quite hot and burn up not being in direct contact
with the water itself.  You should probably contact the motors manufacture
about its cooling requirements.

If designing a motor in a pod, it must be a motor rated to run in air, at
the voltage, and with the load your prop is applying.

Good luck, Dan H.