[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: convention

Alec, and fellow psubbers.

The convention plans are progressing.  Updates are on the web site and will
become more frequent as we move closer to the date.  Pre-registration shows
about 28 attendees as of today.  We have 5 speakers lined up, and 4 psubs
that will be available for static display, diving, or both.  We have one
professional sub pilot who contacted me who will be submitting a technical
paper.

I'd like to get Bill Gifford to bring R/V Needlefish, but at 16,000 pounds
he'd have to drive it up on a tractor/trailer.

Numerous "notable" people have been invited.  We have had no response from
George Kittredge.  I sent an invitation to Phil Nyutten, but it was
returned because I only put one stamp on the envelope and the PO wants more
money to deliver outside the country (groan).  Sorry Phil.  A new envelope
with proper postage is on the way.  Bill Gifford would be an interesting
speaker so we can hear about design and construction of the Needlefish.  If
anyone knows him better than I do and wants to tip him off, please do.

Stanley Submersibles was invited but "probably" won't be able to make it.
Silvercrest Submarines will hopefully be represented by a speaker.  Other
sub manufacturers have been invited as well.  I've also invited
representatives of battery companies, piping companies, and anyone else
that might have information to share regarding psub construction.

We can definately use more speakers and technical papers.  The deadline
for papers is July 30, 2003.  More info is on the website.  If you have
suggestions please forward them to me (jon@psubs.org) or Ray (ray@psubs.org)
and we will follow through.  If you know of any notable people who might
want to attend, please let us know as well.

I will have hotel details soon.  We will be looking at a block of rooms
(two double beds) that we should be able to get for $65/night.

There is a "hooters" restaurant at the hotel, as well as a more formal
restaurant called "brandon's".  The hotel is right near the city proper
and I'll have a list of other restaurants available for those who want
to eat at other places.  The day of the seminar I expect we'll have
traditional "sub" sandwiches in the conference room.

Suggestions?  Let us know.
Jon