From: Chris Nugent
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Main ballast.

    "The vents for the fore and aft soft MBT have to be mounted at the top of the tanks in order to release the air above the water.  Since the MBT's top is the same height as the top of the hull, the piping and valves had to be located at the height of the conning tower. "

     Ok, so if the sub is sitting on the water on the surface, the air in the MBT's should be under some pressure since the weight of the sub is forcing it down, and thus forcing water into the bottom of the MBT's, and thereby displacing the air in them and compressing it until it achieves equilibrium and the sub floats, right?  I understand why the valve has to be at the top of the MBT, but your piping doesn't have to be at the same level as the valve, right?  If I reckon right, the somewhat pressurized air in the MBT's, once the valve is opened, should rush right out no matter where your piping is, as long as the MBT is able to flood completely, right?
    At the depths I'm aiming for (ummm....50 feet?)   I hadn't thought that my valve configuration would pose a problem as far as withstanding the pressures involved.  I may re-do it anyway though.

Chris

"Dan H." <JMachine@adelphia.net> wrote:
Chris,

First I have to say, I didn't design it but from what I see in the over all design, and knowing the designer, I think the valving was done this way for safety and simplicity.  All other valves except these vent valves are located within the hull.

Since each of these vent valves run from an external tank to outside the hull, each valve would have two through hulls for the piping.  Better three, quarter turn through hulls, then six pipe through hulls, more fittings and a still three valve stem seals inside the hull.

The vents for the fore and aft soft MBT have to be mounted at the top of the tanks in order to release the air above the water.  Since the MBT's top is the same height as the top of the hull, the piping and valves had to be located at the height of the conning tower.  It would be cluttered to have these valves and their piping inside the conning tower.  On both K subs, the MBT vent valves are taken apart and altered with long stems that screw right on to a special threaded replacement for the packing nut that is welded in through the conning tower wall.  It makes a clean package and has double O-ring seals for added safety.  Even if the valves get sheared off, the stems have shoulders that prevent then from blowing through to the inside.

The less holes in the hull the better.