Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] More Batteries....power configuration?

In a message dated 5/1/2003 2:42:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mckellar@earthlink.net writes:

I'm still wrestling with relating this to materials myself :(

As far as hull material and thickness goes, am I mistaken in thinking that the smaller the vessel, the less pressure becomes a problem? I think I read somewhere that the German type VII U-boats could descend further than US Fleet (Gato class) subs because they were smaller and hence less bothered by pressure. I don't know, but it seems reasonable. After all, I've never come across a 300-foot long DSV, but little ones, like Trieste and Alvin and whatever are all over the place. Possibly there's a conversion table (Pressure Vs. Required thickness over a given area for a given material or whatever) or the like on the net somewhere, though to date my search has been fruitless