Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Waterproof controls

Doug Jackson,
  If you were imagining a 1 ATM submersible then perhaps you could forgo
having buttons through the acrylic dash altogether.  A 1 ATM submersible
usually only needs splash protection from water, and pressure protection
when flooding the hull, either for escape or routine locking out.  If you
have the front panel of the dash removable, then hinge it for easy acces to
the buttons under normal conditions and latch the panel down air tight when
flooding the hull.

  That would be of no use to an ambient submersible, as it stops you from
using the components while the cockpit is pressurized, except for a GPS or
radio, which are only used at the surface anyway.

  With two people in a 1 ATM submersible, if one person should remain in the
submersible waiting for the other to return before de-pressurizing the
cabin, then he would have no access to the sealed components.

  It would be nice if there were a commercially avaiable ball-joint with
o-ring.  That would allow you to easily hit a group of buttons with only one
penetration through the 'dash.'

    regards,
      Shin

"And further more, be advised that although this is actually a live
broadcast and is being sent out at this very moment, it is quite possible
that it may arrive tomorrow, right now, or perhaps even yesterday." -Serial
Experiments Lain ep#8