Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Waterproof controls

Yes i think that you are right, but escaping from an 1 atm. sub means that you stayed for a very short time under pressure. I mean flooding a sub or a lock-out chamber takes less than a minute. Diving in an ambient or wet sub means that you stayed for a longer time at a certain depth and that you have to respect the decompression-rules. I think that this is a big difference.

Thijs Struijs
----- Original Message -----
From: DBACKIDS@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 10:30 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Waterproof controls

As far as I know, it's only dangerous if you hold your breath. The Navy equips subs with Steinke (spelling?) hoods, that allow the sailor to exit the sub a hundred feet below water, and as long as they breathe on the way up, they are ok. The hoods, I believe, are very postively bouyant, thus shooting the sailor up rapidly.