Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Run Silent, Run Cheap-Shot

I agree for the most part with Pat's analysis.  I'm sure there were good
intentions by both the reporter and Forbes, but I wasn't impressed by
the article.  When I first heard that Forbes was going to put something
in print, I thought it would be a good mechanism to further legitimize
both home-built submersibles and PSUBS.  My reaction after reading the
article was more like "that's it?".  I don't think it made anyone look
like "bozo's" or "bafoons", but I think it cast us as "amateurist" which
is inaccurate.

The word "cheap" certainly shouldn't have been used although I don't
think they meant it probably, the way it sounded.

(Interrupt -- one more to kill letter)
& r
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Run Silent, Run Cheap-Shot

I agree for the most part with Pat's analysis.  I'm sure there were good
intentions by both the reporter and Forbes, but I wasn't impressed by
the article.  When I first heard that Forbes was going to put something
in print, I thought it would be a good mechanism to further legitimize
both home-built submersibles and PSUBS.  My reaction after reading the
article was more like "that's it?".  I don't think it made anyone look
like "bozo's" or "bafoons", but I think it cast us as "amateurist" which
is inaccurate.

Certainly, the majority of us who participate in PSUBS and most people
who have undertaken a psub project on their own are not "professional"
fabricators of underwater vehicles.  However, I think the majority of
homebuilt psubs certainly illustrate that the owners take the matter
seriously and have produced serious, functional, and safe crafts.

I think the article failed to capture the seriousness of those who
were the subject of it.  In contrast, the TV interview that John
Farrington did with a local station in Texas who covered his fabrication
of a K-350 was done rather tastefully and respectfully.

While the Forbes article was perhaps a disappointment, It was not a
total waste of effort.  They provided some pointers to PSUBS and
hopefully folks will visit and see how serious we really are with our
efforts.

Jon